With winter chill closing in, get cosy with this easy to make, soul-warming Central Asian influenced pilaf. Best thing about this recipe is that you only need 1 pot to create 4 servings. Or you can save leftovers for next day's lunch.
Difficulty level: Medium
Total Time: 35 mins
Meals served: 4 Servings
- Basmati or Jasmine rice 3 cups
- Water or vegetable stock 5¼ cups
- Carrot, peeled and chopped 200g
- Pumpkin, peeled and chopped 200g
- Brown onion, peeled and chopped 100g
- Tomato, chopped 1each
- Raisins 2tbsp
- Olive oil 15ml
- Garlic, chopped 2 Cloves
- Ginger grated 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Bayleaf 1ea Leaf
- Cinnamon ½ Stick
- Capsicum Diced small 200g
- Mushrooms, chopped 200g
- Rinse rice in cold water until water runs clear and let it soak in water until you get other ingredients prepared.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium pot. If you have a rice cooker switch it on to cook mode so it starts heating up.
- When oil is heated add the onions and saute, then add the garlic, ginger and cinnamon. Saute for 2 mins until fragrant. Drain the rice during this time. (Any optional vegetables should be added at this step and cooked further until soft)
- Crumble the AM Turmeric & Cumin patties into the pot and saute further for 1 min, then add the well drained rice and stir it gently for another minute.
- Add water or vegetable stock, raisins, chopped tomato, bayleaf, salt and pepper. If using a rice cooker and using the rice cooker measuring cup, follow user instructions. If not, follow recipe measuring guide.
- Give the rice one final stir and close the lid. If using a regular pot on a stove increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 mins. (or until water is absorbed)
- Remove from heat and allow it to sit for 5 mins with the lid closed. Remove bay leaf and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve rice with a simple green salad.